Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Trust and Rest


In these days of uncertainty, it's easy to feel that it all depends on us. The outcomes we seek depend on our words and actions, our plans and hard work.

When I was in England, 4 years ago almost to the day, I came up with a slogan. It was my motto every day, everywhere I went. It came about because of a day in which I lost my train pass getting on the first train of the day. Then after moving through that crisis, at the next station, I got on the wrong train! That was solved fairly uneventfully thanks to the courtesy of the train conductor. It convinced me that I needed to slow down and in the midst of an apparent crisis, to trust God to sort it out.

So my motto became: Trust. . . rest. . . and do my best.

Trust in God, in his providing in every circumstance, in His guiding voice and love.

Rest in that trust, rest in the fact that God has everything under control and I can rest in that..

Do my best to think clearly, take my time, ask questions (always ask 3 times to make sure it's the right train!)

This summer, I'm not in England, but each day is full of opportunities to trust, rest and do my best. 

Regardless of where we find ourselves, our job situation or responsibilities, frustrations or struggles, we can slow down and seek God's grace and beauty. Things may not happen as fast as we want them to, or in the way we were hoping or planning, but we can "humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God, and He will raise us up in due time". We can cast all of our anxieties on Him because He cares about us."  

The Message:

1 Peter 5: 6-7 So be content with who you are, and don’t put on airs. God’s strong hand is on you; he’ll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. 

NIV

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Sometimes all we can do is let go, and wherever we find ourselves, to fill our lives with God's grace and beauty. 




No comments:

Post a Comment