Monday, March 11, 2024

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

One of my favorite places in all the world is sitting on my front porch watching and listening to the birds. Today is a cool day and a light rain has been falling. There is a dove searching tentatively through the grass for seeds.

From the dove's perspective, looking directly in front of him, the supply of seed may seem limited or sparse. From my perspective, I can see the bird feeder directly above which is filled with seeds. In addition, I know there is a bag filled with bird seed tucked away in my laundry room, ready to refill the bird feeder! 

As the sun starts to peek out from behind the clouds, shining on the morning, it's brightness reminds me of God's perspective. He is our provider and knows the abundance waiting for us. We, on the other hand, can only see directly in front of us, tentatively trusting that our needs will be met, not knowing what lies ahead. 

As I have been sitting here, writing and pondering, I have been joined by a brightly colored woodpecker, a red cardinal, a couple of bluejays, two more doves and a sparrow. They are all provided for by our Father in Heaven as are we. 

Matthew 6:25-27

 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment