Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Friends

A friend loves at all times

Proverbs 17:17


This is in honor of friendship. . .

my childhood. . . growing up years. . . high school . . .and college friendships. Our friendships span over 47 years, 7 marriages and 16 children. Even though our lives have taken us in different directions and to different places, when we come back together again, the common memories are more than enough. It's as if who we were then becomes intermingled with who we are now. It occurs to me that friendship over time is like a river running through all of the mountains and valleys of our lives, weaving a common thread that if followed long enough, will always bring us back.

"It takes a long time to grow an old friend."

On first glance there's always the familiar sparkle of the eyes and a smile, and then the laughter, always laughter. We laugh because the people we were then are still behind the eyes of the people we are now! We laugh at the stories, we laugh at the fact that we're still laughing at the same stories we've laughed at for 30 something years!

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway!!!"

We laugh until we cry and have to catch our breath. We laugh because in spite of how many struggles and crises we've lived through, in each other's eyes, we can still find something of who we were back when. Back when there was innocence and a childlike belief in prince charmings and happily ever afters, and knowing we are far better off now, seeing the strength the years have given us. Realizing how short life is. We were together this time for a funeral, for the mother of my childhood friend, a mother who warmly welcomed me into her home on a daily basis for many years. I pray that our time together was a comfort to my friend and her family and that God will surround them with His comfort when they return back home.

"Though our communication wanes at times of absence, I'm aware of a strength that emanates in the background."

It was a reminder for me of how much time I have let go by. Every moment I have let go by thinking my friends are probably busy with their own lives and the times I allowed myself to be too busy. Those moments turn into weeks, then months, and then years. I'm writing this out of love for my friends, out of gratefulness for our memories and laughter, for my friends who are the glue that hold us all together.

So. . . just as the past intermingles with the present, I want to share my blog, this aspect of my new life, with my old friends.

"A friend is a gift you give yourself."

So, pick up the phone or grab a pen and paper, even send a quick email.

Keep the river flowing. . .

Dear Lord, I pray that you would hold my friends and their families in your arms, that you would draw them close to you and bless them with your love and care.

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely tribute to friendship Karen (despite the sad reason for gathering)...which one is you?

    ReplyDelete