Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cats


It all started while we were at my friend's house on the Fourth of July, being entertained by her cat and it's favorite laundry basket. Listening to funny stories of her cats and their adventures reminded me of the affection I shared with my cat (cats) many years ago. The next day, I went to the library looking for something fun and light to read. There on the shelf was a book with the prettiest illustrations of cats on the cover called "The Cats of Moon Cottage". The story takes place in England and it's all about the antics and personalities of the cats belonging to the owners of this cottage. I couldn't put the book down. The next morning an announcement was made at the end of our Sunday School class that someone had 4 kittens to give away. This, of course, I took as a sign directly from heaven.

I knew my next step was to convince myself that my very large dog would accept and get along with a kitten. My kids were not sure at all about it. My daughter very definitely did not want a cat. So. . . I got to thinking. She goes off to college in a year. . . I decided that would probably be the best time to add a new little member to my family anyway.

In the meantime I'm feeling very homesick for a kitten or for the cat she will grow up to be, my new little companion. I got caught the other day. My son has a soft, cuddly Winnie the Pooh we bought at Disney World a few years ago. He noticed it wasn't in his room in it's usual spot. When I admitted I had borrowed it to snuggle and keep me company he thought that was pretty hilarious... haha.
I finished the first book and I'm starting on the second. It's called "More Cat Tales from Moon Cottage" by Marilyn Edwards. The illustrations are by Peter Warner. Reading it makes me feel all cozy like wrapping up in a down comforter or snuggling Winnie the Pooh or looking forward to a new kitten. I told my daughter I might name it after her, but on second thought, Winnie sounds like a good name to me.
P.S. There's even a website where you can see photographs of the actual cottage and the cats in the stories. www.thecatsofmooncottage.co.uk

7 comments:

  1. Those books and illustrations look sweet! I hope that you will get the kitty of your dreams someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post! I do hope you get a kitty to love real soon. I know that you know how much I enjoy my kitty cats. Panther is quite the entertainer when we have people over but Little Bit is my sweetie cat that just loves to be near me.

    Hope your weekend is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you need a kitty to snuggle up with..why wait?

    Our last kitty's name was "Please" and the one before that was "Purple"...we always pick out weird names...but no kitties in our home now...just one big golden retriever that thinks she is human and she pretty near has me convinced....she is very snuggly and keeps me company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am personally not a cat person but I love Winnie the Pooh LOL! Just remember that cats live a lonnnnngggg time and as with any pet you have to find someone to take care of them when you go on vacation or out of town and it's just a pain. Ok sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your good moment. I'll leave on a good note. Cats are good for.............um.....catching mice.
    That's all I got sorry lol.
    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen Hi, your post came to me via Google alert and I was so touched by the lovely things you said about my books, thank you so much. I too once thought I was not a cat person, but trust me Karen, once you have had a cat in your life - they are very spiritual creatures believe me - you will never want to be without one. Do contact me via email I would love to talk to you - Mooncottagecats@hotmail.com and bless you Marilyn Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn, I'm very honored that you took the time to comment on my post. Your books are wonderful. I can't wait to read more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute Post!

    I just gave you an award on my Blog:)

    ReplyDelete