Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hidden Treasure

You know what I love about reading? Finding that unexpected treasure, like searching for and finding a precious jewel. Or what about this analogy. Reading a good book is like walking along the seashore, enjoying the solitude, the beauty of the ocean's blues and greens, and the great expanse of the sky, only to glance down at the sand and discover a shell, perfectly formed, miraculous in its smoothness and color. A treasure to take with you.

Today I was reading a book called "Letters from Ruth's Attic", by Ruth Bell Graham. In talking about waiting on the Lord, she quotes F.B. Meyer,

"Prayer means not always talking to Him, but waiting before Him till the dust settles and the stream runs clear."

Those are moments that, for me, are sometimes few and far between, but they are the moments when I have truly known I was in the presence of God, that I have seen God's heart. I'm always amazed at the gentleness of His words and at the quietness of my soul as I wait before Him....

No comments:

Post a Comment