Saturday, April 19, 2008

Intelligent Science

I just got home from seeing the movie "Expelled". I highly recommend this movie!

It's intelligent: revealing or reflecting good judgment or sound thought.

It makes you think: to determine by reflecting, to subject to the processes of logical thought.

So much of what we see, hear and even think is on the surface: the external or superficial aspect of something.

We're used to the superficial: lying on, not penetrating below, or affecting only the surface, presenting only an appearance without substance or significance.

This movie goes below the surface to find the true substance and origin of evolution, darwinism: a theory of the origin and perpetuation of new species of animals and plants that offspring of a given organism vary, that natural selection favors the survival of some of these variations over others, that new species have arisen and may continue to arise by these processes, and that widely divergent groups of plants and animals have arisen from the same ancestors.

and intelligent design :the theory that matter, the various forms of life, and the world were created by a designing intelligence.

He compares the Berlin wall to the wall that exists between these two schools of thought today. On one side is freedom. On the other. . .?
All Quotes from Webster.com

2 comments:

  1. happy Sunday to you!
    Interesting concept to stretch our minds around...I remember sitting in a biology class (very recently) listening to the professor make an argument for Darwin's theory and all I kept thinking was "why do people who claim intelligence feel the need to pin a concrete explanation on creation"...Darwin was raised a Christian...Maybe God gave him the means to cause us to explore fascinating ideas...TO ME Darwanism can easily be related to creation through God...the multitude of similarities imply God knew he had a good structure to start with...so we all have something in common, what's the mystery? It's good to keep an open mind. The movie sounds interesting, but I haven't seen it mentioned around here...hmmm, I'll have to explore.
    By the way, I've enjoyed just about every one of your posts and I feel like I've gotten to "know" you through bits and pieces...and I'm happy you broke the ice so that I might be blessed by your friendship. There are so many blogs out there, but there are certain ones whose "ships" have moored in my heart...
    If you ever want to "talk" or need an extra prayer, please feel free to email me, my door is always open...

    :)
    may your day be blessed ~
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning sweet friend,
    yes it is very cool that we can befriend another and share the love of Christ over the distance of many miles...and of course you can go to Italy, the more the merrier! You should share some of your European adventures on our "Far-Away Fridays" post (introduced by Nonnie)...or join our "Tuesday's Treasure" where we share "things" that are dear to our hearts.

    As for teaching...I am working my way up through the ranks to get the honor of being a teacher. At the age of 40 I decided on a career change and went back to school to get my degree in English. I'm now 43 and toward the end, but I still need to get my credential...time drags, especially when I feel I'm ready, but the state of California has strict requirements for teaching...the benefit of that is, if I can teach in California, then I can teach anywhere! You should substitute, I think you would enjoy it...you'll be more comfortable once you merge with the students...what grade are you thinking about? My only advice would be to enter that classroom with confidence and make sure you have enough material to fill the time...they'll never know you are nervous...I'm really excited about being a teacher. I love working with kids and exposing their minds to wonderful literature so they might foster habits that will make them lifetime readers and writers. I could go on and on, but I need to scoot on out the door!
    Have a wonderful day ~
    Joni

    ReplyDelete